Frequently Asked Questions
Software MacKiev is delighted to be publishing the most widely used and most beloved family tree software of all time.
- I already own a Software MacKiev edition. Do I need to get FTM 2019?
If you haven't yet upgraded to FTM 2017 and use the features that connect Family Tree Maker to Ancestry, then you will want to upgrade to FTM 2019. That includes syncing, Ancestry hints, and Ancestry search and merge functionality.
No other FTM editions have this functionality.
We've also released exciting new features in FTM 2019 that include improved FamilySearch integration, an extensive change log with rollback function, new options for the index and smart filters, rich color coding, and our new TreeVault cloud services.
- I own an older version of Family Tree Maker. Can I get a discount on an upgrade?
- Yes! You can currently order an upgrade to FTM 2019 at a discounted price for returning users. For more information, make sure you are on the FTM Mailing List which you can sign up for at www.familytreemaker.com.
- Where is Family Tree Maker sold?
- Family Tree Maker is available worldwide through our online store. Click here to purchase it now. DVD and USB editions of FTM are also sold by My History in the UK and by Mentis in New Zealand. For contact information for our international resellers, please select Where to Buy at the top of the page www.familytreemaker.com.
- Where should FTM users go for technical support?
- Software MacKiev now supports all versions of Family Tree Maker. If you are having a technical problem, please start here: support.familytreemaker.com.
- I am moving to a new computer. If I purchase an upgrade, will I need to install my old FTM copy on the new computer before upgrading?
- No. If you are a registered user of an older version of Family Tree Maker, you will get a freestanding installer for your new computer so the old version will not need to be present.
- I've installed a new Software MacKiev version. Do I need to keep the old version?
- No. Once you have installed the new software, you can safely remove or uninstall your old edition if you like, though if you keep it, we recommend you move it to a different folder or to an external drive so that you don't start working on the old version by mistake.
- Will versions of Family Tree Maker be available in other languages?
- We are currently reviewing the possibility of producing localized editions, for which we have had many requests. Click here to request that we make a new language edition. You will be notified if and when an edition of Family Tree Maker for your country or language is released.